Food and Drink Process Operators work in one of the largest, most dynamic and fastest growing sectors of industry. Every day, producers, manufacturers and retailers make and sell millions of innovative food products to consumers in the UK and around the world.
Process Operators work in the manufacturing sector of the food and drink industry. They may be employed in a company that specialises one type of product, eg ready meals, soft drinks or confectionary, or in a company that makes a wide range of different products.
On completion of this programme, Process Operators will be able to carry out production operations using a range of equipment, and will be able to carry out basic fault finding on the equipment they work with. They will be able to handle food products safely and hygienically.
Food and Drink Process Operators will have the following knowledge and understanding:
- The need for and principles of quality management
- Environmental Management System requirements
- The Food and Drink sector: businesses and principles within it
- Product origin and end-to-end supply chain
- Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- Hygiene standards and food safety
Food and Drink Process Operators will demonstrate the following skills:
- Follow and implement Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and work with the quality process as appropriate
- Carry out basic fault finding and problem solving; take action according to organisational procedures
- Ensure effective handovers to appropriate colleagues
- Clean equipment according to specifications and schedules
- Ensure personal compliance with regulatory and company Quality, Food Safety, Environmental, and Health and Safety requirements
Typical duration 18-24 months for new entrants.
Employers will set their own criteria, but typically an entrant to this apprenticeship will already have achieved a minimum of Entry Level 3 in English and maths. Apprentices without level 1 English and maths will need to achieve this level, and take the test for level 2 English and maths prior to taking the end-point assessment for this apprenticeship.
How do I apply to be a Food & Drink Process Operator Apprentice?
If you are interested in becoming a Food Industry Skills Apprentice you will need to register your interest with Remit by completing the online application form here.